Cherokee Village City Office | 2 Suanee Drive | Cherokee Village, AR 72529 | 870-257-5522
|Lloyd W. Hefley
|Cherokee Village Statistics
|Land Square Miles
|Water Square Miles
|Total Square Miles
|People Per Square Mile
John A. Cooper started Cherokee Village, a retirement community located near the junction of the South Fork and Spring Rivers in 1953 with 2400 acres and a vision.
In 1994, the population had grown to 4800 people, the majority of these being retirees. Chafing under the absence of self-governance, a small group of "Concerned Citizens" spearheaded a petition campaign to seek incorporation
Responding to an overwhelming citizen signature campaign, the Fulton County Judge signed incorporation papers for that portion of the village residing within his jurisdiction in January, 1997. Denied incorporation by the Sharp County Judge, petitioners in the newly incorporated Cherokee Village West and in the Sharp County portion of the Village voted unanimously for annexation. On April 28, 1998, Cherokee Village became a united city, the largest in a three-county area.
In April 2000, the first Mayor, Marjorie A. Rogers and the City Council moved into a new city hall in Town Center.